Friday, July 13, 2007

Nita's Rules for Decluttering

I have been busy decluttering and trying to organize this house. The guest room is finally an official guest room....no more "wedding room" which I was calling it for the past year, since it held mostly wedding gifts, wedding cards, wedding dress, wedding this and that! Now, all the wedding stuff has been finally cleared and stowed away in its proper box/area.

I am almost done with my office space.....I got rid of my graduate school notes and extraneous papers. I kept most of my written papers/projects just in case.......yeah right!!! Like I am going to refer to them again....but, since I worked hard and earned A's on all my assignments for the last two years, I figured I would keep them for now and toss them later (next year). Now, I just keep looking over at Jeff's office space. He can open up his own archive museum....he has bags and boxes of elementary, middle, high and college school work and momentos........wonder what he is going to do with them???? Hope he takes my lead (hint, hint).

My next job is to tackle what we call the "junk room" - this infamous room contains extra furniture that we don't need and boxes and boxes of STUFF that Jeff and I have collected in our lives before we became a couple. I've started to rummage through one of my boxes and actually threw out old greetings cards that friends have sent me in the past 10-20 years and other momentos. Sorry....but it was time to let go of the "emotional clutter". I re-read all the cards, remember that moment in time and just had to toss it away. However, I did keep some holiday cards because I can use them with my students when we are making projects. Also, kept some of the more special or unique cards I've received in the past. I wasn't able to part with the more recent cards quite yet so they are stowed away in its proper box. Everything must have a "home"! Well, I must stop blogging and get back to decluttering! For those who are or will be embarking in this massive task, here are some things to remember:

Ask yourself these questions:
  • Do I love it?
  • Do I need it?
  • Is it essential?
  • Does it enhance my life?
  • Have I used it in the past couple of years?
Then: Sort your things into 3 piles – (boxes)
  • Yes – I love it and I need it, it works and it’s useful
  • No – Someone else can have it
  • No – Toss it out

No comments: